Pages

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Dutch Alexandrian~


If I start by saying that Egyptians and the Lebanese do not consider themselves Arabs, even though the West thinks of the whole block as "the Middle East", does that make any sense?
If not, you're also not going to understand that Alexandrians around sixty years ago (before WWII) also did not consider themselves Egyptians. They weren't, in the strict sense, because cosmopolitan Alexandria had thousands of Italians, Greeks, Lebanese, Armenians, British, Americans, and I can go on. Most of them had been in Alexandria for two or three generations though, but they kept to their own traditions, habits, and languages. They did live side by side, each excepting the others differences. And what did they call themselves? It's pretty much like they have in America right now; African American, Anglo American, Asian American, and so on.

Why am I ranting? Because I find that so interesting, my mind being so "open" I could never identify with being Arab, or Egyptian. I'm not saying being an Arab is something negative, even though I mock stereotypes, I do not believe in generalizations. But at the same time, I cannot say I am completely Dutch. Partly because it feels like I'm betraying some other half, and partly because I do think differently about a lot of things. So, the conclusion: Half Dutch, and Half... Not Egyptian, but Alexandrian. Even though Alexandrians nowadays are mainly Egyptians, I don't care. Maybe I'm fooling me, but I might as well just think up a self-made-up term, because I simply do not belong to either country, or I belong to both.
[/rant]

I don't know if anybody noticed, because I had not noticed myself until just recently, that up till now I have been writing ten entries a month since I started this blog. It was totally unintentional, but I have a theory about next month: I'll either post half or double that amount in May. Why? Because I'll be so busy that I'll either have a lot to say, or no time to say it. xD
Fun stuff, like my birthday, obligatory stuff, like my cousin's wedding, and preparation for that, and icky stuff, like exams. Lots to study. ~scared~ lol

xxx
The Gypsy

No comments:

Post a Comment